STEM Diary Entry #1 – Week 8 Term 3

In STEM this week, I believe I got a great start on my project. After receiving the criteria for the final portfolio, I carefully analyzed each section of the portfolio, including the title page, contents/tabs, proposal, research, diary/log, drawings, material lists and costings, risk assessment, design process/photos of progress, evaluation, and finally the bibliography. This allowed me to gain a more developed understanding of the task and the types of information that my final portfolio will contain. Looking at the different sections of the task in detail also allowed me to begin setting up a folder for my project with tabs, headings, etc. After this, I was able to begin writing the title page and generating a name for my project. I found this surprisingly challenging as I had only ever thought about my project in separate sections, which is why it was difficult to include all of the aspects of my project in just one sentence. After I completed this, I moved on to the proposal. In this lesson, I only had time to write one draft of the proposal. However, as this project continues and I am faced with more challenges, I expect that I will be editing and making several copies and versions of my proposal. I did not find it overly challenging to complete my proposal as I had already thought a lot about the purpose of my project and why it is important in the lives of others. The main change in my thinking that occurred during this week’s lesson was that I gained a much greater understanding of my project and how I’m going to build the prototype of my design.