STEM Diary Entry #2 – Week 9 Term 3

In STEM this week, I began researching and searching for information that I could use to complete my project. In this lesson, I found a sufficient amount of information about electromagnetism and electromagnets. I found this information from 2 videos called “How does an electromagnet work” and “How to make an electromagnet”. These videos were very useful and I made lots of notes for when I progress the drawing stage of my project. I also found a webpage about electromagnetism which was written by the same company that made the videos that I watched. I found this webpage extremely useful as it was much more detailed than the videos, however, it did contain quite advanced terminology which I did not always understand. I overcame this challenge by looking at another website that was made for kids which contained some more basic information that was much easier to understand. After reading the webpages, I then analyzed them by highlighting and annotating the relevant parts of the text. I also found quite a few diagrams and images from the videos and the web pages, showing what electromagnetism is and how it works. When I had almost completed my research, I encountered another challenge. Unfortunately, the majority of the information that I had gathered was from the same company, meaning that it is a possibility that the information was not valid as it may have included bias. As a result of this, I then cross-referenced the information that I had gathered from this company with the information that has been provided by other companies and luckily it matched. Therefore, I was able to conclude that the information that I had gathered was reliable and that I will be able to refer back to it at different stages throughout my project, which will help me to successfully complete it.

One Comment
  1. Omg you are working so hard on this project and researching broadly whilst also thinking critically. I love that you are researching electromagnets to make your model furniture lift, speak to Maddie Jose she has made one. It is great to read that you have organised your folder, I look forward to watching this grow. Love Mrs Kemp x