STEM Diary Entry #8 – Week 5 Term 4

In STEM this week, I continued to make the electromagnets that I will be using in the prototype of my design. As mentioned in post #6, I encountered many unexpected challenges while making my electromagnets. The first challenge that I faced was making my electromagnet strong enough to attract a larger object that is similar in weight to the object that I would be using in my final model. After a significant amount of research, I discovered that the most efficient way of increasing the strength of an electromagnet was to increase the number of coils of wire on the iron pipe. After making this modification on my electromagnet, the strength of my electromagnet only increased slightly, which was still not enough to attract the larger object that I am using in my final model. As I was unable to find any more suggestions online about increasing the strength of an electromagnet, I spoke to a few girls who have previously completed similar projects about the problem. The majority of these girls suggested that I should increase the size and power of the battery that I am using in my model. I took their advice and replaced the current battery with a more powerful battery, hoping that this would increase the strength of my electromagnet. However, the increase in the strength of the battery did not increase the strength of my electromagnet as intended. Instead, the increase in the strength of the battery only made it overheat. Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to find a solution to this problem in this lesson. Next lesson, I hope to fix this problem and possibly finish making my four electromagnets that I am using in my model.