STEM Diary Entry #5 – Week 2 Term 4

In STEM this week, I completed a detailed explanation of the process that I will undertake in order to complete my project. This mainly involved identifying each of the steps of making an electromagnet and listing them in a numbered format. However, the majority of this lesson was spent speaking to Maddie Jose about my project. As our conversation went much longer than I had intended, I did not get an opportunity to experiment with making a practice electromagnet. However, I think that our conversation benefited me to a great extent as Maddie not only suggested major improvements to my design, but she also offered to provide me with some materials that were left over from her project. Although her advice was extremely beneficial, it did mean that some aspects of my project had to be altered. This includes my design process and my material lists and costings. These changes were quite easy to make, and I really hope that they will improve my project significantly. After making the adjustments to certain parts of my project, I finally printed the next few sections of my project and put them in my portfolio. Although my conversation with Maddie did require me to complete some extra work, I am really grateful for this conversation. This is because it gave me an opportunity to prevent many potential issues with my design before they actually occur, which could end up saving me a lot of time and stress in the next few weeks. Next lesson, I look forward to getting the opportunity to experiment with the materials that I am using to make my electromagnet. If I have enough time, I would also really like to start making the electromagnets that I will be using in my final product.

One Comment
  1. Dear Georgie, it is great to see you have used some excellent reflective thinking and problem solving with your project. Well done!